In 1946 the company was incorporated. However the work ethic, drive and determination to start this corporation goes back to Mr. Albert Henry Long, who was born in Alabama in 1883.
Albert set up shop in Cincinnati, Ohio on Front Street. His two younger sons, Chester and Oren, were expected to put in their time before and after school. They were both hard workers and spent their time in the family owned chicken and egg business. While continuing to help with their father’s business, the two saw the possibilities of burlap and cotton bags and ventured out on their own.
In 1944 Front Street become the home of Long Brothers Bag Company. The brothers decided to look into handling paper bags and sand bags. They determined that burlap and sand bags could be reused and not just discarded. They figured out a way of cutting the bags and re-sewing them back together as a refurbished commodity. They purchased sewing machines and hired six women to do the work. They started brokering paper bags and teamed up with other companies for the printing of feed and seed bags. They soon discovered the need for fiber containers and steel drums with the opportunities to recycle.
The Front Street location soon became too small for the expanding businesses (bags and drums). They leased property and a building in Oakley, Ohio (a suburb of Cincinnati) to contain the drum portion of the business. The Front Street property was used solely for the bag business until 1957, when property was purchased on the banks of the Ohio River in Ludlow, Kentucky. “The Mill Building” (as it was called at the time), situated at Post Place and River Road, became the new home for both bags and drums. The brothers, in 1965, expanded the drum operation to Indianapolis, Indiana (Indianapolis Drum Service) and later purchased land in Reading, Ohio for a reconditioning plant for the open head and closed head steel drums.
In 1975, the Ludlow, Kentucky facility became the bag and fiber container division and the reconditioning of the steel drums was done at the Reading, Ohio location. The company had fifteen tractors and over two hundred trailers. The customer base expanded to Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan and West Virginia and the work force consisted of two hundred men and women.
Chester passed away in 1979 after seeing the company grow from a small bag company to a well established, well respected and nationally recognized recycler of steel containers. Oren passed away in 1997, but not before overseeing the expansion into reconditioning plastic containers at the Indianapolis, Indiana. Since the passing of the founders the Indianapolis division has become a major recycler of IBC’s (totes) and Long Brothers has gone international.
The future is well in hand with the legacy passed on to the next generation as we continue to serve the reconditioning industry into the 21st century.